Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Makin' dough

This is how I know I'm getting old.


My favorite birthday gift was….


A breadmaker!



It's no secret Mike and I try to eat healthy. We like knowing what goes into our food, so it irked us buying bread with dozens of ingredients knowing it only takes a few to make a loaf.


When I sent my birthday list (yes I still make those) to my family, I knew my Mom would buy me the breadmaker. I was hoping she'd also throw in the "Maid for a Day" request, but no dice.


In typical Casazza fashion, getting my breadmaker was a disaster. My parents had it shipped to a store near us and delivery was delayed. Thankfully it arrived on my birthday and I had it home and baking within the hour!




Here's the part where I laugh at Mike. He can make complicated meals but appliances designed for convenience cooking confuse him.


Microwaves, crockpots, and especially breadmakers:
  • "How does it mix and cook in the same pot?"
  • "Do you have to put the dough in the oven to cook after it's mixed?"
  • "Why do the ingredients have to go in a specific order?"


He was doubtful. I couldn't wait to show him how easy it is to make fresh bread!


Well, it's easy if you read the directions. Which I didn't.

I made him supervise, reading instructions out loud and double-checking measurements.

My big mistake was not letting the unit cool after the initial 'heated clean' cycle. The machine wouldn't start cooking until it had completely cooled off, which left my ingredients vulnerable for a good 30 minutes. And then the little window on top kept fogging up so I couldn't check on the dough!

I was bummed when the loaf came out a bit squatty. It was still delicious! I made it 2 days ago and this is all that remains - 




But it wasn't perfect.

Tonight I try again with CINNAMON RAISIN! Guarantee it will be perfect and waiting for Mike in the morning, complete with a "Told ya' so" sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...