Sunday, June 6, 2010

Trash the Dress

Tomorrow I am doing the unthinkable.

I am trashing my wedding dress.

*Pause for inevitable gasps*

No, I am not bundling it up and putting it out to the curb with the rest of our garbage. I'm sucking in the pounds I've put on since the wedding, squeezing into the dress one more time, and going out for one last photo session. Only this time, I don't have to get all gussied up and I get to run around in fields and jump into water wearing the most expensive article of clothing I'll ever purchase in my lifetime.


Trashing your wedding dress is a fairly new concept, but essentially it's a last hurrah in which you say goodbye to your dress while taking pictures you would never take on your wedding day because you couldn't get the darn thing dirty.



As the Trash the Dress website says:

You’ve made a commitment to your husband. He’s your one and only true love, right? Then you’ll never need the dress again. And no, your daughter won’t wear it in 20-30 years. So you have two choices: 1) Suffocate it in plastic and throw it in a closet 2) Show your husband how committed you are by trashing the dress, and get some great fun pictures while you do it!



That's exactly how I feel.

Honestly, I LOVE my wedding dress. It was the first one I tried on, and I knew the instant it was on that it was "the one." I was never overly emotional about any aspect of the wedding, but every time I slipped into that dress, I grinned. It was just perfect.

I know it's selfish but I can't imagine donating my dress to charity or selling it to someone else because it's mine; I wore it on one of the most important days of my life and I don't want anyone else to be a part of that! And honestly, if we end up having a daughter, I know she's not going to want to wear my dress. If she has half of my personality, she'll probably want to wear a pink wedding dress. Or she'll want to fashion it into a Halloween costume.

And I can't see the point in cleaning it and having it sit in a closet for all eternity. I am pretty minimalistic about saving things and this would be a huge clutter, and it would break my heart to have this beautiful dress sit in the darkness forever. It was a pretty obvious decision to me, but I've gotten some negative feedback from people I've told this to. All I can say is, if I regret it, I regret it :)


I'm really excited about the pictures! Our photographer Megan and I are going out tomorrow after work--she asked me to bring some props to incorporate into the pictures. I have no idea what to expect and I'm really nervous but I know where we're going so there is great potential! I can't wait to share the pictures with you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...