Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I feel the Earth move under my feet

Today I realized I am not good in emergency situations.

First things first: Mike and I are just fine after today’s earthquake. We are about 30 miles from the epicenter and yup, we felt it big time.

I was at work when it started and I literally dove under my desk. Everyone else went to the door frame.

Has "Saved By The Bell" taught me nothing?


After the shaking stopped it was sheer confusion. I work in a conference center where hundreds of people are present at any given time, so evacuating the building was a little hectic. People were trying to drive their cars through crowds of people - not smart.

Ironically I am a Floor Warden, which means I have been trained to lead people out of emergency situations that occur on the job. I can say with certainty that I failed miserably today. I grabbed my bag and ran out of the building, leaving everyone in my dust.


We waited outside for about an hour before we were allowed to return to work. I tried frantically to place phone calls and send texts but service was out. Once I got back to my desk I finally got a hold of Mike, who didn’t seem fazed by the fact that THE EARTH JUST MOVED.

Just another reason why nature terrifies me. You have no control over it!

Image found here and here

1 comment:

  1. Your actions remind me of the Seinfeld episode when George ran over all the kids at a party when someone yelled fire.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...