Friday, October 22, 2010

Honor, Valor, Courage.

Last night we went to an awards ceremony for the Richmond Fire Department. Mike was honored with a medal for a water rescue that he and other members of his crew performed.




I’ve been to several fire department functions with Mike over the years, but this was the first one for the city of Richmond. What a difference! Everyone was in uniform, the mayor spoke, there was a local news anchor handing out the awards and I got to meet a lot of Mike’s co-workers. It was really nice.




While each person approached the stage, the speaker explained why he/she was receiving the award. I loved hearing each story of bravery and courage because it really shows how these individuals go above and beyond what is expected of them to save a stranger. There was even someone who saved a dog’s life!






This was also the first time I've been to a fire department event as a wife. Families are always thanked for supporting the firefighters and this time, I wasn’t just Mike’s date. I was a family member. I represented as I embarrassingly snapped pictures and clapped and even got a little teary-eyed.




Mike is very modest about his job and doesn’t like to talk about his accomplishments but I am really proud of him and loved watching him be recognized for his hard work!




After the ceremony we went out to dinner. Any guesses as to which restaurant we chose?








3 comments:

  1. That is really awesome! Nice job, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! We are so proud. Love you both!
    Me-Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's no surprise--Way to go Mike!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...