Thursday, March 15, 2012

Snip snip

On Tuesday our pup got some work done.

 

Getting Brooksy neutered was never a question for us – it was a matter of when. His vet suggested anytime between 6 months and a year, leaning more towards a year to allow him to fully develop. The vet did emphasize that as soon as B started showing any sign of aggression or dominance to immediately get the surgery done.

Here’s the thing about our little man; he is no longer little.

Current weight: 72 pounds. He’s big and strong. But still has the brain of a 7 month-old!

 

He’s full of energy and sometimes doesn’t recognize when he’s playing too rough. When he began getting a smidge aggressive our radar went up. And then the grumbles started. He was getting too protective of his food and toys and that’s when we decided it was time.

That was over a month ago. The SPCA’s cost = $50. The vet’s cost = much, much more. We chose to wait it out until the SPCA could schedule him. Fun fact: they do 70 surgeries DAILY!

Mike was off work and in charge on surgery day. God knows I couldn’t have handled it because I cried as soon as I got home and saw our little conehead.



Never before have I felt the emotional pain that hit me when I saw Brooksy post-op. His normal routine is to completely freak out when I walk in the door. Instead, he sat and groggily stared at me before getting up and running into the wall. 

Yes I laughed… but my heart still hurt.

Luckily, Grandma was in town yesterday and brought a get-well soon present.


Yes, that is a homemade edible arrangement for dogs. I have so much to learn about being a parent!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...