Sunday, October 9, 2011

Speed Demon

Yesterday I headed to Virginia Beach for my friend Dawn's bridal shower and bachelorette party. As awesome of a time as I had this post is not about the parties.

This post is about cops.

VA Beach is about a 2 hour trip. I left at 9:30 for the 12:00 party, leaving myself 30 minutes to spare. I hit Williamsburg around 10:30 and debated making a pit stop - I decided to go for it. I was in the middle of nowhere but had my trusty GPS so I figured I was safe.

Nope.

The GPS gives directions but doesn't remind you of speed limits...out of nowhere the flashing lights appeared. I realized that while I was searching for road signs I hadn't been paying attention to the speed limit in the least.

In my defense the speed limits are unnaturally low in the county I was in. The main highway was 45 MPH...for real? Apparently I was going 63. Uh-oh.

The nice officer asked me if I was in a rush to get somewhere and I told him I wasn't from around there and simply wasn't paying attention. He went back to his car and took forever; in the meantime another cop showed up and I started freaking out. I didn't want to go to jail!

After an eternity the nice officer ended up 'rewarding me' for my honesty and knocked my speed down to 52 MPH....so essentially I got a ticket for going 7 miles over the limit. I think I could have gotten out of it if the other cop hadn't shown up but oh well. I'm not gonna fight a $50 ticket.

The officer wished me well and said "I know it's not fun getting pulled over." How ironic. I thanked him and slowly drove away--15 seconds later I burst into tears. Such a girl!

What's funny is when I was younger and got tickets I would be terrified to call my Dad to tell him. Now I'm terrified to call and tell my husband! Of course Mike told me it was no big deal but it's still embarassing!

Still got to the party on time though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...