We’ve lived in our house for almost 2 years and are used to the sounds it makes. Little bumps and squeaks are common but I was not prepared for what happened last night!
Around 1:30 am I woke up to Mike walking around the room. I rolled over and was just about to fall back asleep when I heard it:
“SCREEEECHH!!! SCREEEECHH SCREEEECHH!!! SCREEEECHH!”
I jumped up and yelled “What is that?!” Mike had already heard the noise so I joined him as we snuck into the kitchen trying to figure out what the heck was going on.
It was confusing because the noise went off sporadically and sounded distant. There was no freaking way I was going upstairs--I was fine standing in the kitchen with the knives for protection, thank you--so Mike went upstairs and discovered the culprit.
Now Mike is a fireman and I am not an idiot--the noise did not sound like a smoke detector. But the battery was dying and it decided now was the perfect time to notify us.
The hubs took the battery out and said he would get a new one the next day. We had just crawled back into bed when the chirping started. I was then treated to a lesson in fire safety as Mike explained that since the smoke detectors are on the same circuit, the beeping would continue until we replaced the battery.
I offered my ear plugs but Mike was already putting on shoes and asking where the nearest 24 hour store was. It’s pretty obvious he’s the responsible one in this marriage.
He said he’d be back in 10 minutes but there was no way I was staying in that demon house alone so I went along for the trip. Our neighbors must’ve thought I was nuts as I walked out the door in pajamas with my crooked ponytail at 2 AM.
I did say as we were getting in the car that this would make such a good blog story. Mike gave me a firm “NO.” Whoops.
A pack of batteries and a cold car ride later (hello Fall!) and the smoke detector was back in action.